Monday, May 01, 2006

Glaucoma.....

Today I went to make a new pair of specs with my sweetie at JP...

Chose a nice dark purple rim glasses and then went to check my eyesight... it was the same....

then I had to undergo these two other tests tat I've never gone thru before, Tonometry and Ophthalmoscopy. Tonometry is to measure the intraocular pressure, pressure exerted due to the presence of the vitreous humour and opthalmoscopy is to examine the optic nerve at the back of the eye.

The lady told me tat my intraocular pressure is quite high, normally is abt 21, my right eye is abt 25, think the other is abt 23....

From wikipedia I got this pic which is the type of pic the lady took for the opthalmoscopy lor...


It says tat the pink rim of disc contains nerve fibers. The white cup is a pit with no nerve fibers. As glaucoma advances, the cup enlarges until it occupies most of the disc area.

And from the opthalmoscopy pic of my eye hor, the lady said my eye optic disc (cup) is quite large... think abt 4 in diameter compared to the usual 2 or 3 for asians.....bleah....

She said tat I may have Glaucoma, it's an eye disease due to the damage of the optic nerve...and it's usually due to elvated intraocular pressure but it's not a sure sign cuz some people juz has a higher pressure than normal ppl who does not suffer from this disease. As for the optic cup, the lady also mentioned tat some ppl are also born with a larger one than the rest. So needa confirm if mine is because I'm born with it or it is due to the damage caused by high intraocular pressure...

Haizz, I never heard of this disease before ma.... then when she mention the chinese name 青光眼 (Glaucoma), I thought she say 青蛙眼 (frog eye)..... kaoz, made a fool of myself...hahaha....

Think I'll go for a checkup juz to be sure la.... better be kiasu than sorry rite?

No comments: