Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Some thoughts

Quite a busy day for me today...

Recently I've decided to grade my class on the day itself between breaks, during lunch time and right after the lesson. Although it takes some discipline to do so, I realise it's actually easier and faster because the memory of what each student did was still very fresh in my mind. So far, I've managed to finish my comments by the end of the day before I knock off. It used to be a dread writing comments for all the students and I would take more than half a day to grade one class. But now, because of the change, I actually have more time at hand to do other work.

My productivity at work seems to be improving!! ^^

A while back I was rather upset about the lack of prospect of my job, the pay, the sucky job title (it still sucks btw) and was contemplating if I should "jump boat" before I sink and drown *buruu buruu buruu*... a light beam from heaven struck my head somewhere somehow...

*Dee VOICE from heaven*

For what is a man profitted if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? ~ Matthew 16:26 ~

Alot of my friends, although they earn more than me, their job is more inflexible and takes up alot of their time. Sometimes it's very easy for me to fall into envy of their more "glam" jobs and feel bitter towards my own. When such bitterness takes root in my subconscious mind, I find that I'm irritable with the people and tasks that is related to my work. I drag my feet to work and when your attitude towards something is not right, what you produce will not be good as well. And this means no satisfaction from the job too!!

This is a 凶悍的圈圈(my translation for vicious cycle, dictionary translation is 恶性循环) eh before you criticize about my lousy translation, please take two fat bananas and shove it up your gap and DONT criticize...hehe

Okie, back to the topic... What I've come to realise is that earning more and having a more "glam" job is not what life is all about (speaking for myself here). I should not base my worth on how much my pay is; simply because it is not a good indication of one's worthiness anyway. What is important is how much I am "enjoying" my life now. At present. When I say "enjoy", it does not mean having fun only, it also includes the satisfaction derived from what I do as well. As long as I'm happy, it is really not that a big deal how many zeros I get in my paycheck because I am already happy now. Having realised that, it seems that I became more productive and actually enjoy my work more.

Back when I was a student, I always hear pastor preaching about enjoying work and don't fall into the "trap" of working solely for the money. I thought to myself, what's the big deal about it, just do what you need to do la, compare so much and so unhappy for what. Haha... but I was totally oblivious to it when I've crossed over to the DARK SIDE.

heeheehee, 哇si Darth Vader hor, dun pray pray arh....

I guess, in the end, what really is important is...

No comments: